What You Will Be Doing: Creating a More Just and Equitable Society
You will own the RFP process from the go-no-go decision all the way to submission and interview. As a strong writer and project manager, you will create winning proposals by working with a talented internal team and often partners outside of the firm. Your skills in managing the proposal process and writing content will result in winning RFPs for projects that will ultimately impact the quality of life of those in many different communities.
Examples of RFPs you will work on include: addressing barriers to mobility and transportation in underserved communities; rebranding beloved places, spaces, infrastructure, and government agencies that make up the fabric of our community; working with community groups and city departments to advance reform of government fees and fines that adversely impact low-income residents and communities of color; collaborating to working with government agencies on the shortage of affordable housing; to raising awareness about environmental resiliency; to creating marketing strategies and branding that reflects an equity lens; to crafting integrated communications strategies to reach people where they are; to creating public policy initiatives that ensure diversity and inclusion is valued.
Who You Are
You are an organized and detail-oriented proposal professional who is an excellent writer that can thoughtfully communicate a point with creative flair. You are a self-starter who effectively multi-tasks while maintaining the highest level of efficiency, communication, and attention to detail. You could collaborate with both internal and external resources to develop strategies that meet company goals within budget and established timelines. You are a master at managing multiple projects and deliverables successfully. You have a knack for being able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing. You are skilled at establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization. You know how to handle confidential information and issues using discretion and judgment. You are a master when it comes to reading, analyzing, and interpreting general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. You can effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and the public. You are a problem solver and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. You have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Prepares maintains and manages a proposal process including the matrix outlining all the deadlines, milestones, deliverables, and accountability for every proposal.
- Drafts and completes proposals across multiple business segments within established deadlines
- Thoroughly analyze all sections of the RFP to interpret the requirements set forth by the agencies
- Proofread and edit all material for correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting as applicable to the specific materials requested
- Provide hands-on proposal services as needed to include scheduling, outlining, storyboarding, and section-writing; designing, revising, and incorporating meaningful graphics; conducting reviews; editing and rewriting as needed for readability and compliance.
- Provides accurate and timely follow-up in support of negotiations.
- Partners with expert and knowledge-based staff to manage the entire RFP/RFQ process
- Manages workload and prioritizes activities to ensure delivery of high-quality deliverables to meet internal and external deadlines
- Partner with CEO to develop new business leads and relationships
- Standardize and implement procedures based on best practices to ensure the timeline, process, and completion of an RFP submission is successful
- Other duties as needed or required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Business, or Technical Writing (a plus)
- Minimum 2 years of proposal/technical writing. Must have experience responding to government RFPs. Experience responding to engineering, architecture, or technology RFPs a plus! Minimum 2 years managing the proposal process from beginning to end
- Knowledge of business development requirements for a small firm doing business with public sector clients
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (preferably with a Mac) and Google Suite
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (CSS) – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign would be a plus but not a requirement
- Experience with community relations is a plus!
D&A Communications is an equity-first communications agency creating meaningful and lasting social change for 25 years. We are devoted to bridging the needs of diverse communities and our client’s goals through integrated communications, authentic engagement, and public participation programs that create real-world transformation. Our mission is to build human connections and empower all people to make a transformative change that elevates our communities, creating a more just and equitable society.
At D&A Communications, we believe in transparency and open communication. We value everyone’s feedback, creativity, and innovative thinking. We are an eclectic team of self-motivated warriors working together to impact our community positively. Our goal is to grow and develop all our team members to their fullest potential. The common thread that ties us all together is our passion for making a difference.
About Our Culture
We encourage your ideas and input, and as an equity-first agency, your voice and lived experience make a significant impact both internally and on the communities we serve. We believe in work/life balance and are constantly evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of our employees and our community. We champion making space for our team members to have the freedom to openly and actively contribute their diverse perspectives. We believe that people work best in an environment where they are recognized for their efforts and respected as individuals. We work collaboratively as a team. We measure our success against our values:
Grit – We get s##t done
Courage – We are brave and daring
Intentionality– We are committed to meaningful work
Fluency – We are experts in the language of Communications
Impact – We believe in doing good by doing better
Resilience – We are quick to respond and recover with optimism and conviction
Creativity – We believe in bold, future-focused ideas
We foster a hardworking, energetic, passionate, creative, and remote-first culture. D&A also promotes a dynamic working environment, offering full-time jobs with no travel requirements and optional remote flexibility. Eligible employees also receive a comprehensive benefits package and competitive compensation that includes medical, dental, and health benefits and LTD, STD, ADD/Life. Benefits include vacation and sick time, holidays, a 401(k) matched by D&A, a professional development stipend, and a monthly phone/internet reimbursement. We strongly believe in and gladly support investing in our employees, their health and well-being, future retirement, and professional development.
Application Process: JoinUs and Be a Part of Something That Matters
Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and other necessary information (i.e., link to your portfolio or writing samples) to email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the email subject line. No faxed applications will be accepted. Please no phone calls.